Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Farewell to a great man...

Well, yesterday was the day, we said goodbye to a great man. It was hard to sit in that viewing room, knowing that it was going to be the last time that I was going to ever see his face. It was so hard to sit there as they closed that casket forever. I just had to keep telling myself that Grandpa was happy and in heaven with the love of his life. They still have work to do and they are going to do it together! My dad said the family prayer, he did a wonderful job. I am so proud of him through all of this. He has tried to be so strong, when I know he is hurting so bad inside. I wish I lived closer to him to try to help him through this. I hope he knows how much I love him and wish I could be there for him. I know that he will get through this. Things are hard right now, and I wish I could just comfort his hear

The funeral service was really good. There were a lot of speakers and musical numbers. My brother Clint talked about our memories of Grandpa. He did really well. I was so proud that he had the courage to get up in front of everyone and talk about Grandpa, and did it without crying. We had one of our friends daughter sing "Daddy's Hands". She did such an amazing job. I just layed my head in my lap and bawled. It was hard to listen to that song, and not think about Grandpa.

The Grandkids sang "Grandpa" by the Judds. We were told that we sounded good. Landon was the loudest guy, and Ty said that he made the song! It was really neat to be able to get up there and sing for Grandpa. Grandpa's friend Grover got up to talk and said at the beginning of his talk, "If LeeRoy was here, he would be so happy to see this little girl in the isle. She is so cute and puts smile on my face." Yes, he was talking about Ashlynn. She was sitting in the isle of the chapel, she was getting tired, and when I went up to sing, she started to cry. It was pretty cute if you think about it. I said the closing prayer and wasnt too sure what to say when I got up there. I feel I did pretty good, it just came to me when I got up there. I could hear everyone cry when I was talking.. it was hard!

The graveside service was really good. They had the military rights by Gunnison American Legion Post #104. They did great. It was really cool to see that and how they folded the flag. I have pictures of all of that and I will post them tomorrow, if my internet is up. After all the services, we headed back to the church for lunch. I want to thank the relief society for the delicious food. It was so nice for everyone to sit and talk with each other.

All in all, it was a good day. Things turned out beautiful and Grandpa would have been proud. I miss you Grandpa and cant wait to see you again. I know that you are happy with your sweetheart and know that she is just as happy to see you. I love you!

Grandpa and the 4 kids at my Grandmas funeral
Donald, David (My Dad)
Donna, Grandpa, and Judy

3 comments:

  1. Annalee everyone did SO well!!! Your prayer too! It really was a special service! I feel for all of you but I guess you just need to keep thinking about how happy HE is!!! Hang in there. It was good to see you! You are a sweet girl and have a bEaUtIfUl daughter!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Annalee, What are wonderful post. Your strength is encouraging. I'll bring some cheerful sugar by when you have had a few days to gather yourself. We're thinking about you and our prayers are with you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys! Lisa, Sugar sounds delish!

    ReplyDelete